Hugh-Jones Mackintosh is a bespoke, residential design practice that is deliberately boutique in nature, allowing principals Justine Hugh-Jones and Katrina Mackintosh to be closely involved in all projects.
“For us it is important that we match a design vision with a high level of service. We feel these two things define our practice and it means that we have a number of repeat clients – which we love,” says Justine.
Their approach to design is holistic. They understand the value of aesthetics; the perfectly designed armchair, the artwork that lifts the spirits and the medley of fabrics that look as though they always belonged together. This is married with a deep understanding of the power of good design; well-planned, functional and practical spaces are paramount to making sure a home works with ease.
“It’s vital to us that each project feels like a home from the word go, with an in-built sense of history. We’re passionate about what we do, and get an enormous amount of pleasure working with clients to draw out their vision and express their character with unique objects and furniture pieces – be they from an overseas vintage store or a local craftsperson,” says Katrina.
Collaboration is an important word in the practice’s vocabulary both with clients and with the specialists they work with, including architects, landscape designers, builders, upholsterers and joiners, whom they have built up strong relationships with over years of practice. There is, at heart, an appreciation that the entire experience of creating a home for someone is a privilege, and Justine and Katrina feel very fortunate to be able to do that daily.
Justine Hugh-Jones – Founding Principal
Justine set up her practice in 2004, specialising in high-end residential design. She has an innate ability to set a design vision around which her skills align, with a particular emphasis on aesthetics (a keen interest in art underpins much of her approach) and developing strong client relationships.
Her love of languages has seen her living in a number of countries, including France, where she gained a degree in international business, while her love of travel drew her to marketing at British Airways, where her exposure to product design led her, in turn, to interiors. Discovering her main passion was in design, she subsequently took up an apprenticeship with an interior designer in Hamburg before studying art history in Sydney and interior design in London.
Katrina Mackintosh – Principal
Katrina started working with Justine in 2011 and, while enjoying seeing a project through from start to finish, finds the initial concept design phase and architectural planning side particularly satisfying. In addition, she has a passion for tracking down the vintage lighting and furniture pieces that make a project sing. With a total of 20 years’ experience, she graduated with honours in interior design from University of Technology Sydney, and subsequently worked for architectural and design practices specialising in high-end residential projects in both London and Sydney before joining Justine.
Phillip Bouffler – Studio Manager
With more than 15 years’ experience in the design world, Phillip combines his architectural studies and interest in art with a strong background in business. Having gained an MBA from RMIT University in Melbourne, Phillip has worked for a number of design and architectural practices, and has been with Hugh-Jones Mackintosh since 2015. He manages the business side of the practice, and is involved in the logistics and financial aspects of all our projects to make sure they run smoothly and efficiently.
- Interior design
- Structural and architectural alterations
- Design development and documentation including construction documentation
- Collaboration with other design professionals such as architects and landscape designers
- Design of specific rooms including kitchens and bathrooms
- The design of custom joinery
- Selection of materials and internal finishes
- Furniture layouts
- Sourcing and specification of all furniture, decorative lighting, window treatments + soft furnishings
- Art curation and installation
- 2020 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards
- Best work with colour for Courtyard House Finalist
- 2019 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards
- Best Residential Kitchen Design for Greenhouse Finalist
- Best Residential Bathroom Design for Axis House Finalist
- Best Residential Bathroom Design for Greenhouse Finalist
- 2018 House and Garden Top 50 Rooms
- Best Kitchen for Axis House Finalist
- Best Bathroom for Axis House Finalist
- Best Outdoor Indoor Connection for Courtyard House Finalist
- Best Cover for Courtyard House Finalist
- 2018 House and Garden Top 50 Rooms for Bilgola Beach House
- 2018 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards
- Best Residential Interior for Killara House Finalist
- Best Bathroom Design for Bilgola Beach House Finalist
- Readers Choice Award Best Residential for Killara House Finalist
- 2018 Australian Interior Design Awards
- Best Residential Decoration for Taylors Bay House Finalist
- 2015 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards
- Interior Designer of the Year Finalist
- Best Residential Interior for Foreshore House Finalist
- Best Residential Kitchen Design for Foreshore House Finalist
- Best Residential Bathroom Design for Foreshore House Finalist
- Best Kitchen Design for Foreshore House Winner
- 2014 House and Garden Top 50 Rooms for Palm Beach House
- 2013 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards
- Best Residential Interior for Harbourside House Finalist
- Readers Choice Award Best Residential for Harbourside House Winner